Wednesday 18 June 2008

jewelry

When I was in this part of the world in the 80s we ran out of time and did not make it over to the Aran Islands. A big reason for coming early to Galway is to make that trip now. I woke up to a very rainy, blustery day and had second thoughts. Pretty much the only thing for a tourist to do over there is be outside and I just wasn't sure. I decided to go on the afternoon ferry to Inis Mor and take my chances. I am so glad that I did. The days on this trip have been like a string of beads -- each one beautiful, unique and surprising. And this was one of the best days EVER. It rained all the way to Rossavael -- a one hour coach trip. It rained most of the ferry ride. I was freezing by the time we arrived and the first thing I saw was a sign that said 'Aran island Sweater' -- I almost bought 3! But it did not rain on the island and for the ferry home, the sun actually blazed out and I burned my nose. There are 4 ways to get around the island: walk, mini-coach, horse and cart or bike. I did not want to be in a car. I did not want to be toured around even if it was in a cart. I wanted to be free to wander at will. I am not sure why I did not stop and rent a bike. I think it was just that I did not feel like a business transaction right then. I was pretty glad that I chose walking along the high road. It turned out to be the best thing. If I had a bike I think I would have ended up walking most of the way up anyway and pushing the damn thing. I'll bike the coast road next time.

I wish that my blog had smell-o-vision and that you could feel the wind and be in the quiet. But these pics will have to do. I am sure they will show you why I was just so happy all day long.

No comments:

story juice posts and pictures
by tracey mollins are licensed under a

Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.

Creative Commons License

i support the creation of derivative works in principle, but this is a personal blog and contains photos and stories that are important to my family and friends. if you want to use any material created by me, my family and/or friends, please get in touch.

duck duck go